File Renamer Basic
Video Tutorials **NEW**
Online Help Manual
Custom Application Development
Click here for information
DLL / COM Products
File Renamer Deluxe users - Please note:
Version 6 uses a new key. You are eligible for a free upgrade for up to
one year from purchase or last upgrade (and a 50% discount there-after).
to check your eligibility for an immediate key upgrade
Latest Version: 6.3
Release Date: 12-05-2010
Notes: Fixed the main issue with the EXIF module. Now File Renamer will correctly pull the date created (as well as all the other EXIF information). In addition, you can now right click on any file in the list,
and click on the menu entry to view All the EXIF tags contained in that particular file. You can also use any of these tags in the "advanced" tab now. The tags are case sensitive, so if you use
the advanced tab, be sure to use the tags exactly as you see them listed in the "tag viewer". We also fixed an issue on the central 'Check for Updates server' that should fix the issue of File Renamer
not being able to reach the update server.
Version: 6.0.1[click to Download the old version (version 5.8)]
Release Date: 1-25-2010
Notes: Fixed an installation issue on Windows 7 64-bit. Also fixed the auto-sort to sort ascending instead of decending on default. Added the ability to show system files in the list in
addition to hidden files (or neither if you choose).
Release Date: 1-11-2010
- Version 6 includes several updates to make it work much better with Windows 7
Added the much requested "Smart Sort" abilty, which sorts filenames in numerical order
Under the old routine, that would have been sorted as such:
(since the "letters" 10 comes before the "letter" 9), the new version treats the letters as actual numbers, even inside the filename
- Added the ablity to view hidden files inside the file list
- Added the ability to use what was found in the "Search" field, in the "Replace" field by using a tag called "<search>"
- Added the ability to minimize or hide sections of the renamer. For instance, you can now hide the 'Copy/Move To' field, the 'Folder Explorer', and you can view a minimized version
of the main buttons. This gives quite a reasonable amount of screen space to work with.
- Significant upates to the Rename List feature - should be much more accommodating to use (i.e. now has the ability to skip entries with errors, and will tell you which lines have errors).
- Fixed an issue which could cause File Renamer to "crash" when exiting
- Several other minor bug fixes
Release Date: 5-13-2009
Notes: Fixed some startup issues that could occur in some instances. Also added some detailed startup logging so if the program doesn't start, a log file will be created that can be
e-mailed to the support team to figure out what happened. Also fixed a few other minor bugs.
Release Date: 3-5-2009
Notes: Version 5.6.1 caused some issues with the Date/Time update operations, those have now been fixed. We also made the profiles remember which tab you were on, which will now also apply when you're starting
up the program. So, if you were in the advanced tab when you quit the program, you'll now be on that tab automatically when the program starts next time (this feature only applies to the Deluxe edition). We also
fixed a couple minor bugs.
Release Date: 2-21-2009
Notes: This is a minor update, we added a new error logging routine when the program is starting up. We also added a few more checks to catch some minor errors that under
some rare circumstances, could cause the ribbon bar to not display properly. We also added a feature to remove illegal filename characters during a rename. So, if a user typed in
an invalid character, or if there was an invalid one in the ID3 tag, the system will now automatically remove those in order to properly rename the file. We also added
an area in the "Program Options" to be able to view where the configuration file is stored. Starting with version 5.6.0, each user has their own profile, which means you will
have to enter the registration information for each user that will use the software. The nice thing about this though is that every user will have their own preferences set.
Release Date: 2-20-2009
Notes: 5.6.0 finally makes the change to store the profile, logfile, and main configuration files in the users directory as opposed to the application directory (which in 99% of the
cases, is the c:\program files directory) We had left it in the application directory for so long because several of our users like to have it installed on a thumbdrive. However,
it's caused enough grief among the majority of our users that it became no longer practical to keep it there. We've now moved it to where it should be (according to standard coding practices).
Hopefully, this change will allieveate several of the issues users were having -- in regards to the splash screen coming up but nothing else, or the ribbon bar not displaying properly,
and also, users settings should now be stored properly without having to be run in administrator mode. We also fixed a couple other minor bugs.
Release Date: 2-10-2009
Notes: Okay, shortly after publishing and futher testing version 5.5.1, we realized that the auto-refresh on the folder view was causing some annoying issues. We've removed the
auto-update on the folder view, however, now the 'Filter/Refresh' button will update the folder view in addition to the file view.
Release Date: 2-10-2009
Notes: Medium update. We updated the ribbon bar component we're using which should fix issues some people were having with the ribbon bar not displaying. We also updated our
'Folder Tree' component to 'Auto update' when the directory information changes. So, if a new folder is added or renamed in the system, the folder viewer will automatically update
within a second or two. We also fixed a minor display issue where the bar to resize the folder view was going behind the folder viewer. A handy update is now if there is an error
while renaming a file, File Renamer will tell you what the error was as opposed to a generic 'Error' message (i.e. File Already exists, etc...)
Release Date: 8-15-2008
Notes: Minor update
Release Date: 7-24-2008
Notes: On Vista SP1, the context menu feature seemed to override some of the shortcuts for office and the device manager. We've turned off the
context menu feature for now until we can look into the issue further. We also updated the 'Apply' confirmation box to only show up if the preview button had not been pressed first.
Prior to this, the confirmation showed every time unless clicked to not show again.
Release Date: 7-15-2008
Notes: We had stopped File Renamer from being able to open in multiple instances due to the new Right Clicking ability in Windows Explorer and not knowing which
instance to send the selected files to. We've addressed this, whichever was the last selected instance is the one that will receive the files from Windows Explorer on Right Click.
Having solved that, we've turned back on the ability to have multiple instances open at once.
Release Date: 7-14-2008
Notes: Fixed an issue with manually re-ordering thumbnail images (feature was broken in version 5.0, but is fixed with 5.0.1). Also added some additional verbiage
to the 'Save As' command for profiles with File Renamer Basic to make it easier to understand what to do next.
Release Date: 7-14-2008
- Version 5 includes the most asked for features/changes to File Renamer by our users.
- First, we finally added a full help manual for the program (you can launch it in the program or click here to view it online).
- We added right clicking support to the context menu in Windows Explorer. With this feature, you can select a group of files in Windows explorer, and then
send them directly to File Renamer. You can also use the menu to automatically get File Renamer to the current Windows Explorer Directory.
- We added the ability to rename lists! Now you can copy/paste a list into the new tab to rename as many filenames as you like at a time. It even has the ability to
move the files after renaming (if specified in your list).
- We completely rewrote our EXIF tag information. Now all images (including RAW images) should have their information pulled correctly and in a much
faster manner. In addition, we added every known EXIF tag we could find.
- Added the ability to have unique parameters in the 'Advanced' tab area.
- Added the ability to insert text at a specific spot in a filename
- Added the ability to have searches start from a specified position in a filename
- Fixed several small bugs
- Updated the button graphics to be more glassy looking
- Modified the verbiage on some of the buttons to be a little more helpful
- Updated our installer routine to help reduce conflicts that could happen in rare circumstances.
- Added the option to turn off automatic sorting of the columns, useful if you're manually adding filenames and you want them in a specific order.
- We also added online forums for community support/bug reports/feature requests/general feedback. You can visit them by clicking here
[click to Download the old version (version 4.0.3)]
Release Date: 6-22-2007
Notes: Due to reports of program crashes when dealing with ID3 edits/filename changes based on ID3 information,
we've completely rewritten the ID3 engine. It is now much faster and MUCH more stable. You can now also type in any genre
name in the ID3v2 field on the update screen (you could only choose from the available list in the prior versions). Serveral other
small improvements to the ID3 system.
Version: 4.0.2[click to Download the old version (version 3.1)]
Release Date: 6-15-2007
Notes: Added support for 'Regular' version key. File Renamer - Regular is now available for only $10. This
is great for people who would like to support the continued development of the File Renamer product but don't need some of the extras
of the full File Renamer Deluxe. You can view the comparison of all editions by clicking here
Release Date: 6-4-2007
Notes: Major change for this version was the user interface. view screenshots
- We've now added support for skins (Although there are only a limited number built-in at this time).
We also integrated the ribbon bar and many other visual improvements which should make
working with the File Renamer product line easier and more enjoyable.
- Did significant Microsoft Vista testing to make sure it was working properly, fixed an issue that was preventing it from saving
previously used settings (for Deluxe users)
- Added a progress bar to give an indicator of the loading of large directories
- Per many requests (from deluxe users), added the window position to the list of previously saved settings that program will use
when starting up (deluxe users only)
- Fixed an issue that was causing the 'tip of the day' to display a black background (with black text)
- Updated the 'Delete' key to only prompt to delete files when the mouse is in (and active in) the main file list window
- Several minor bug fixes
Release Date: 4-13-2007
Notes: Added thumbnail support. Also fixed an issue with the 'move file' feature. Various other small bug fixes.
Release Date: 1-1-2007
Notes: Fixed an issue where the File Renamer Basic/Deluxe was not recoding the old filename properly in the log file with each
rename. Because of this, the undo feature was not working as it didn't have the correct filename to undo.
This bug appeared in version 3.0, and has been resolved now.
Release Date: 12-27-2006
Notes: Fixed an issue where clicking the 'x' to close the program would cause a 'crash'. This issue did not show up in any of our
debugging tests, it only appeared on the 'live' version. This issue has now been resolved.
Release Date: 12-26-2006
Notes: Please read from the notes below
|New features for version 3.0 include
|Automate Copy/Move files with the rename
File Renamer will now (if you choose) copy or move the file after it's been renamed to a directory of your choosing
|Change the file dates (Date Created/Modified/Last Accessed)
|Many fields remember previously entered information
To save yourself time, File Renamer will remember previously used entries in several of the input fields
(i.e. File Name Box, Search Fields, etc...)
|Advanced tab - build your own name (currently in Alpha version)
This tab is for the person who wants some serious control over the way their files are renamed,
unfortunately, at this time, this feature still needs the most work, however, for beta, you can still
play with it and begin to see how useful it could be!
|View/sort files based on the EXIF file creation date
Probably one of the most requested features! Now you can sort your images taken from your digital camera by the date
the picture was taken!
Profiles (store up to 50 profile settings) HOT!!
If you often work in different directories, you can store multiple profiles that with one button, loads all the
settings generally used. For example, if you saved your current settings into 'Profile 1', then changed the source
and destination directories as well as the unique file parameters, etc..., then clicked back on 'Profile 1', all your original
settings would return. And you can have up to 50 profiles!!
Note: File Renamer Basic currently only supports one profile, the Deluxe supports up to 50
Several bug fixes
On a side note, the user community has been tremendously helpful with both bug reports and feature suggestions. Please
keep sending those to us so we can continue to improve the File Renamer Basic/Deluxe.
Release Date: 3-24-2005
Notes: Small bug fixes:
Fixed the manual rename feature
Fixed other small error checking issues (to reduce the number of instances where the program will 'crash').
Release Date: 2-15-2005
Notes: Added the following features:
- Ability to view/sort on Date Modified/Date Created
- Automatically (and manually) check for new versions of the File Renamer Basic/Deluxe
- Fixed a bug dealing with the sorting of columns and then loading additional folders of files
- Added the ability to load the previously used settings at program startup (only available in the Deluxe edition)
- Links within the program to our site to report bugs and suggest new features
- Misc other small updates
Release Date: 12-28-2004
Notes: Added support for random numbers (and unique random numbers) to be added to a filename. Also fixed a couple minor interface bugs.
Release Date: 11-18-2004
Notes: Fixed minor interface bugs
Latest Version: 2.3
Release Date: 9-14-2004
Notes: Fixed a bug in the recursive folder renaming system. This feature only affected the deluxe version and
has been fixed as of version 2.3
Release Date: 9-1-2004
Notes: Fixed a couple of misspellings and Enhanced the 'Find/Replace' tool to give the user the option
to search; before the file extension, just the file extension, or the entire filename.
Latest Version: 2.1.1
Release Date: 8-27-2004
Notes: Added the ability to highlight several files inside the File Renamer, right click and select or de-select
the highlighted entries.
Release Date: 8-12-2004
Notes: Added the ability to place the Unique Parameter (i.e. numerical, letters, or dates) before the filename. In
the prior versions, the only option was to have the Unique Parameter after the filename.
New option: 0001-Filename.ext
Release Date: 8-10-2004
Notes: The new version adds support to rename Folders. Also adds support to rename MP3 files based on
ID3v1 and/or ID3v2 tags. Also adds an ID3v1 and ID3v2 tag editor. In addition, there have been several interface
visual upgrades and several bug fixes.
Release Date: 8-2-2004
Notes: The File Renamer Basic Edition is fully functional freeware. We do offer an upgrade to the Deluxe
Edition that adds some features like Log Files with unlimited undo, drag and drop files to the list, and processing
Simple program to rename multiple files quickly and easily. If you are looking for
an easy way to rename your files, you've found the program!
No time limit exists - This is Freeware.
If you choose to upgrade to the Deluxe Edition, pricing is as follows:
- Single User License - Regular: $10 (US Dollars)
- Single User License - Deluxe: $19.95 (US Dollars)
- Multiple User License - Deluxe (2-8 users): $14.95 (US Dollars)
- Site License - Deluxe: $199.00 (US Dollars)